RE: ACTION-308 (part 2) Updates to 'The Self-Describing Web'

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:56:37 -0800
To: "noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com" <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, John Kemp <john@jkemp.net>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>
# I remain a bit unsure on the nuances in choosing between empty content
# type and application/octet-stream, but otherwise "yes".

What I remember (although this is now ancient history) the
intent was that an explicit application/octet-stream was a
declaration of "hands off". In particular, "do not treat me
as text or, for that matter, automatically sniff anything
without further user intervention.

It's pretty clear that actual experience varies.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net