Re: Client side storage: Flash storage used to preserve/recreate deleted cookies

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:11:34 -0400
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 16:35 -0400, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> This article [1] suggests that at least some organizations are using Flash
> client side storage to preserve and recreate browser cookies.  Not quite
> sure what this is pertinent to TAG work on client-side storage, but it's at
> least worth noting.
>
> Noah
>
> [1]
> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/08/ad-firm-sued-for-allegedly-re-creating-deleted-cookies.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Wow, that's a *major* privacy violation and security hole.  I'm
surprised Adobe has not yet been sued about it, but perhaps the
attorneys are going after the lower hanging fruit.

And BTW, the whole idea of users having to use Adobe's web site to set
the security controls on their own personal computer is completely
absurd.  That aspect in and of itself is totally broken and would seem
to me to be grounds for a lawsuit regardless of the other issues.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)

reflect those of Cleveland Clinic.