Re: Media Type Sub-Sub-types?

On Apr 5, 2010, at 8:09 PM, Erik Hetzner wrote:

> At Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:27:36 +0200,
> Jan Algermissen wrote:
>> I usually address the subclassing issue (which is primarily an issue
>> of expressing a client side capability of expectation, IMHO) with
>> a profile parameter on the media type(s) in the Accept header:
>>
>> Accept: application/rdf+xml;profile=http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/
>>
>> The server can respond with just Content-Type: application/rdf+xml or,
>> if desired, with a 406 Not Acceptable if the profile 'request' cannot
>> be satisfied.
>
> I want this solution to work, but I have some concerns.
>
> Is there a profile parameter defined for the application/rdf+xml media
> type? (I don’t believe there is.)

It is defined for HTML and, IIRC, XML, too. It would be straight-forward to
define it to apply to any media type, IMHO.

However, it is just something I have used somewhere. It does not mean it is
a good or the best solution.

What I think matters most is to document the client's expectation somehow. The
rest will be figured out at runtime anyhow.

Jan

> Or is profile considered an HTTP
> accept-param? If the latter, shouldn’t it follow a q param? Futher, if
> it is an accept-param, am I right in thinking that the Content-Type
> response will not return the profile value?
>
> best,
> Erik Hetzner
> ;; Erik Hetzner, California Digital Library
> ;; gnupg key id: 1024D/01DB07E3

 Jan Algermissen, Consultant
 NORD Software Consulting

 Mail: algermissen@acm.org