content-type sniffing, and other topics in WhatWG chat (the purpose of standards, plugins, accessibility, and other topics)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 07:59:05 -0700
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
CC: Lisa Dusseault <lisa.dusseault@gmail.com>, Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
I thought I made some progress on uncovering the justification for content-type sniffing application/postscript, at least for Mac Safari users there is a postscript viewer that does something more useful with sniffed postscript (labeled as text/plain) than it would with text/plain itself or application/octet-stream.

The conversation is a little hard to wade through, but suggested reading for other nuggets:

http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090927

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net