Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-03

On Thursday, September 24, 2009, 6:07:45 PM, Chris wrote:

CL> A new version of I-D, draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-03.txt has
CL> been successfuly submitted by Chris Lilley and posted to the IETF repository.

An HTML version of the draft may be seen at
http://www.w3.org/2006/02/son-of-3023/draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-03.html

This draft incorporates the TAG finding

Bray, T., Ed., “Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use,” April 2004.

which also brings advice on the use of the charset parameter into line with current practice. In brief, the charset parameter should only be added if it agrees with the xml encoding declaration. In the absence of an explicit charset parameter, the encoding specified by the xml encoding declaration is used. (This is a change from RFC 3023, which required enforcing us-ascii in that case).

The only difference between todays draft-03 and the draft-02 of 31 July this year is that draft-03 clarifies that the specification applies to all editions of XML 1.0 (first to fifth edition) and XML 1.1. The syntax of the xml encoding declaration is the same (bar minor clarifications) in all editions. Thanks to Henry Thompson for help with that.

Once promoted to an RFC, this specification will obsolete RFC 3023.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG