Re: conformance constraints on producers that go beyond syntax

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:28:40 +0100
To: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>

Jonathan Rees writes:

> There's nothing suggesting that [HTML] inherits anything from SGML other
> than its definition of conforming document. The HTML5 draft is
> careful to say "This specification describes the conformance
> criteria for user agents and documents" omitting any mention of
> authors. SGML has been expunged. The bit about author good practice
> has been removed, promoting the no-tag-abuse rule to normative
> status.

I suspect we have a [tendentious, in the spirit of this thread :-]
difference of interpretation here.  I interpret the SGML definition of
conformance as applying to documents and that _includes_ the
requirement that the semantics of the documents must conform to the
semantics specified by the application in the document type
definition, which means, _inter alia_ no tag abuse.

So HTML _does_ inherit the prohibition on tag abuse from SGML, IMO.

ht
- --
                         Half-time member of W3C Team
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk