Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-site-meta (Defining Well-Known URIs) / ISSUE-36 siteData-36

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:16:08 -0700
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
On Oct 22, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav wrote:

> When I did my survey last year for possible solutions, the issues
> raised about OPTIONS were lack of support/understanding in many web
> environments and hosting services, no caching, and the need to
> define a syntax for the OPTIONS response in addition to that of the
> metadata document. Of all these, the difficulty in deployment on
> both the server and client side (unfortunately) prevents OPTIONS
> from being used in most web protocols.

Ugh.  If I had an example of what needs doing, I could make
sure it works on Apache.  Most things can be configured like

    SetEnvIf Request_Method OPTIONS do_options_stuff=y
    Header add Link '</favicon.ico>;rel="icon"' env=do_options_stuff

but I'd have to check if OPTIONS has a default handler.

Of course, mod_rewrite can do most anything.

    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^OPTIONS
    RewriteRule  ^/  /.well-known/  [L]

as just a guess.

....Roy