Re: HTML 5 integration of SVG and MathML addresses ISSUE-33/mixedUIXMLNamespace-33?

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 12:32 -0500, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote:
[...]
> > Have you looked at the integration of MathML and SVG into HTML 5?
>
> If I understand the key design points in the current HTML draft, they
> generalize as:  >>when using the text/html serialization, namespace
> qualification in the DOM is provided only for particular vocabularies that
> are baked into the (then current) version of the HTML Recommendation. Such
> vocabularies will, in practice, be usable without prefix qualification; in
> fact, even well known prefixes like <svg:circle> will not work. In HTML 5,
> the supported vocabularies will be MathML and SVG.<<

That's my understanding as well.

[...]
> The first of those points is "the big debate".  I did my best to outline
> the pros and cons in my TPAC presentation [1].  I still am among those who
> believe that it's worth trying very hard to do better.  Insofar as I
> understand Liam Quin's proposal, it seems to offer at least an interesting
> direction, in part because it offers a more decentralized way of
> supporting new vocabularies, and evolving for eventual support in the core
> specification.

I'm not aware of anything in Liam's proposal that has to do with
user interface; i.e. screen arbitration, event bubbling, etc.

I gather MS IE and Firefox each implement a binding of namespaces
to user interface components. I'm not very familiar with either
of them; I think the Firefox implementation is called XBL.

Some quick research shows
XBL 2 is at CR as of March 2007 http://www.w3.org/TR/xbl/ , waiting
for 2 implementations.

Wikipedia says "There used to be an XBL 1.0 specification document on
Mozilla.org, which was submitted to W3C as a Technical Note, but the
actual implementation never did match the specification."
 -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBL

The Internet Explorer documentation seems to be:

Introduction to DHTML Behaviors
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms531079%28VS.85%29.aspx

I'm not sure if either of those mechanisms is powerful enough
to handle something like SVG or MathML.

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Nov/0004.html

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E