Re: Comment on XSD 1.1

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 18:20:58 +0900
To: Pete Cordell <petexmldev@codalogic.com>
CC: www-tag@w3.org, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org

On 2009/05/22 20:02, Pete Cordell wrote:

> Personally I would have preferred XSD1.1 to be more of a maintenance
> version, fixing what seemed clearly wrong, rather than adding new
> functionality. To that end I'd have gone for:

> - Relax cardinality constraints of xs:all members.

Does that solve
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xmlschema11-1-20040716/reqs.html#maxOccurs-all
?
If it does, then this is interesting. Apparently, in 2004, it was
considered a non-goal. It might be interesting to look at how many of
the classifications in 2004 turned out to be correct, and why.

This goes back to
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/xmlschema-current/lcissues.html#all-with-n-gt-1.
The links there are no longer working (renumbering issue? In the long
term, it might be better to use links of the form
http://www.w3.org/mid/...., because they are more stable)

And doing a bit more archeology, this goes back as far as
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/1999OctDec/0048.html
(James Clark). Apparently, it takes 10 years to fix some things. But
even if it takes time, it sometimes happens. Great.

Regards,    Martin.