Re: a few URI/href issues captured with test cases

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 19:34:36 +0200
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
On Thu, 21 May 2009 19:05:52 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> I think when we discussed this last October, Larry and several others
> (including myself...) pointed out that the additional complexity as
> compared to IRIs (RFC3987) can easily be layered *above* IRI, mapping
> HTML5-references to IRIs by just by stating:

Just for the record, around the same time I pointed out that this could
not work because of Step 1b in section 3.1 of RFC 3987. This may or may
not be a bug in RFC 3987, but it is most definitely an issue.

> 1) non-IRI characters found in the query part are encoded using the
> document's character encoding, then percent-escaped (*)

In addition, for this to work you'd have to define how to get the "query
part" first.

> [...]
>
> (*) Note that HTML5 considers only links with non-URI characters in the
> query part as valid if the document's encoding is UTF-8/16 (as far as I
> recall).

That is correct, yes.

--
Anne van Kesteren