RE: XML Schema usage statistics (WAS: Draft minutes of 2009-05-12 TAG weekly)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 09:43:17 +0300
To: www-tag@w3.org
> One side note: I wonder if it would be possible to define a validity
> description that might be used to define HTML5 and CSS, both
> important web languages that are not well-defined by XML Schema,
> RelaxNG, BNF, or any other mechanism.
HTML5 is well-defined using English. CSS is well-defined using English
and Yacc-like grammar.

RELAX NG, XSD and BNF are insufficient for expressing the conformance
criteria of HTML5. Validator.nu uses a RELAX NG schema for HTML5 but
refines things by adding checks implemented in imperative code (Java).
(Validator.nu used to use Schematron, too, but the performance
characteristics of Schematron in Jing+Xalan and Jing+Saxon were
undesirable, so I replaced Schematron with Java code.)

Henri Sivonen