Re: [Fwd: Using XMLNS in link/@rel]

From: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:41:56 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, www-tag@w3.org, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>
Julian Reschke wrote:
> If recipients need to change, then you have introduced a new
> notation/syntax/whateveryouwannacallit.

Recipients only need to change if they lent @rel a
syntax/meaning/whateveryouwannacallit beyond the spec. If you assumed
@rel in HTML or XHTML was a URI, you went beyond the spec.

RDFa specifically ensured that existing *specified* interpretations of
@rel were preserved, i.e. link types. And RDFa specifically ensured that
the list of link types could be extended in the future without
interfering with our use of @rel including prefixed values which,
according to the spec, you should have simply ignored as local values.

I think that's what Steven means when he says we added a way to
interpret the @rel syntax without actually changing it, because there
*no* syntax specified other than CDATA.

-Ben