Re: @rel syntax in RDFa (relevant to ISSUE-60 discussion), was: Using XMLNS in link/@rel

On 1/3/09 19:49, Rob Sayre wrote:
> On 3/1/09 1:45 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>>
>> "Custom data attributes are intended to store custom data private to
>> the page or application, for which there are no more appropriate
>> attributes or elements.
>>
>> These attributes are not intended for use by software that is
>> independent of the site that uses the attributes."
>>
>> Unless the site that uses the attributes is the entire Web, I can't
>> see how this bit of HTML5 addresses such a scenario...
>
> Do you mean it won't work technically, or that it would be using the
> attributes in a way that's unintended? RDFa already uses XML Namespaces
> and HTML in ways that those specifications don't cover. What's different
> about my example?

This option has been bounced around a few times on the HTML and WHATWG
lists. The general consensus seemed to be that this wasn't what data-
attributes were intended for. Of course the HTML5 spec is still in flux,
and they could be redefined to do this kind of thing too. Whether that
would be a good idea, I don't know.

cheers,

Dan