Re: LRDD Update (Resource Descriptor Discovery) and Proposed Changes

Stuart,

I will answer in one block instead of paragraph by paragraph.  I think
it will be more cohesive.

The Magna Carta example that Jonathan gave yesterday made me to think:
what went wrong for this thinking "If I link to wikipedia, I want you to
go to the wikipedia article, darnit, not to the Magna Carta."

I think it is caused by the duality of a URI for being both URN and
URL.  Here, URN is used different from other URN, such as LSID etc., I
use the URN in an absolute sense that it is independent of any
transportation protocol. If people understand this duality and knows
when they are using it in which sense, I don't think that there will be
any such confusion.  Say, let

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta = Mogna_Carta

Then, the wikipedia article would be denoted by "http:Mogna_Carta".  I
doubt there will any ambiguity.

Then, this comes back to the definition of Information Resource, with a
URN, wouldn't IR be the set of all URL's referent?  If we have not taken
IR as *representation*, would this (the duality of URI as name and
locator) be the cause?

Now, let's go back to Pat's question, how a far away galaxy can be
connected to the Web?  Say Orion (let's make it a schemeless URN
again).  Then, you chose your information path by selecting your
transportation protocol.  When you choose "http", your information
resource would be http:Orion, which makes it a URL now.  Wouldn't you
know what kind of access that you are getting into?

If we have one URN, I believe all these problems will be gone.  Sure, we
can make URI to keep its duality.  But in the latter case, we must be
aware which sense we are using when we make a statement.  We should not
try to cure one linguistic confusion with another because that only
gives rise to new problem while still not settling the old one.

I *sincerely* wish that when we define our engineering terms, we can
follow Wittgenstein's version of "meaning is use".  A *definition* must
be distinguished from a *description*.  The former is aimed at clear
usage while the latter comprehension.  If we define a vocabulary X, and
no one can tell X from not-X, X must be treated as its subsuming
concept.  This is my logical argument for the word "descriptor/metadata"
etc. because their definitions make them semantically equivalent to
"resource".  Then, it offers no more therapeutic (in Wittgenstein's
term) value than what we already have, except making it worse.

Honestly, I do not buy the "cost" argument.  I wonder what is the
priority of TAG?  Is it to create patchy solution here and there?  Or to
think thoroughly and tries to settle down a set of solid foundation and
methodology before evaluating anything else?

Ideally, here is the list of things I wish TAG to consider.

1.  The necessity of *one* URN.
    URN is a URI but without a pre-defined transportation protocol. We
use URN to describe anything in the world, just like a word in natural
language.
    Syntax: my proposal is to make it an HTTP-URI sans "http:".
2.  The URN can be bound to any number of URL.
    A URL denotes a (information) resource that provides information
about the URN.
    Syntax: scheme + ":" + URN.
     Here, a scheme must correspond to a transportation protocol but not
naming protocol. Thus, there will be no more argument about if we need a
new URI scheme.  If there is a new transportation protocol, then there
is one.  Otherwise, no.
    In addition, we might consider a default namespace URI for the scheme.
3. Complete the referential range of URI so that syntactically, we can
tell if a URI denotes a URI, a Resource or a Representation.
    Syntax: my proposed syntax is:
    a) If the root URI ended with a "~", it by definition denotes the
URI without the trailing "~".
    b) Use #(mine-type) to denote a representation.
4.  Consider denoting a MIME-type with URI.
5.  Optionally, make a URI syntax to denote the set of mime-type
associated with a resource.
     Syntax: A root URI ended with a trailing "?"

I believe the above design would give us a very solid foundation for the
Web.  All important concepts, URI, Representation, Resource,
Transportation, MIME, will be grounded on URI.   Thus, we know one URN
can have multiple Information Resource (URL); and one Information
Resource can have multiple Representations.  And we communicate through
the Web by fetching the most suitable *representation* to understand the
world, which is grounded on the Web by the URN.

Don't you think that is a much better and cleaner way to solve
architectural problems?  I want to point out that all my proposed design
does not define anything semantically.  It is all driven by syntactic
conventions.  We are engineers.  Our job is to design and built "syntax
or structure" for our users to deal with their semantic issues.   It is
not our job to tell our users he or she get  "X is Y" right or not.  It
is their freedom and we have no right to take it away from them.

I may have sounded that I have been bickering about semantic issues.
But that is not my purpose.  My purpose of doing that is only to show
how shaky a ground we will stand if we ever try to built our engineering
principles from our intuitions.  To be pragmatic, that is my purpose.

Xiaoshu