RE: URI for abstract concepts (domain, host, origin, site, etc.)

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:56:02 -0700
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: "apps-discuss@ietf.org" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, URI <uri@w3.org>

I am not sure this is useful because it has clear semantic meaning representing a DNS record, not some abstract concept. I can't figure out what a descriptor about dns:example.com actually mean because I don't know what a description of a DNS record means (other than comments).

> I can't find any RFCs on hosts, origins, etc.
>
> For abstract things in general, I like just
> using dynamic lookup via http:
>    http://anysite.you.can.publish.on/mydescription#host-site-whatever

How would a client know that this URI isn't for an actual HTTP resource without creating "well-known-location" URIs (option #1 in my original email)?

EHL