RE: metadata, resources, and angels & pins

From: <john.1.kemp@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:29:43 +0200
To: <masinter@adobe.com>, <wangxiao@musc.edu>
CC: <www-tag@w3.org>

[...]

> I think of "metadata" as assertions about a resource; resources are, of
> course, usually identified by a URI, although in some cases you have a
> representation "in hand" as well as the metadata about it.
> Assertions are not "facts" but rather "opinions" (an assertion by an
> agent of the agent's belief of facts.)

Indeed this is sounding a bit like security architecture terminology, such as defined by RFC 2828 [1], SAML[2] and others, where an agent makes a claim or assertion about a named subject (perhaps naming that subject with a URI), and other agents may verify the assertions about the named subject, perhaps based on their level of trust in the agent making the claim.

[...]

> This is still a little sloppy, but I hope it gives an indication of the
> direction I'd like to go in metadata access discussions, and the hope
> that it will be rewarding and not worthy of Xiaoshu's pessimism.

It certainly sounds workable so far.

Regards,

- johnk

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2828.txt