[LRDD] Add 303 as fourth LRDD method

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:24:34 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org
LRDD [1] is being discussed on www-talk, but I thought I'd post the
following here so that we could talk about it before I forward it on
to Eran, to make sure I'm not missing some subtlety. Maybe y'all could
mull this over before we discuss my review of HTTPbis GET/303 at the
F2F.

Dear Eran:

With HTTPbis effectively endorsing the linked-data use of GET/303 to
obtain description resources, I'd like to suggest the following tweak
to LRDD:

In addition to the three methods for obtaining description resources,
add a fourth, namely to look for a description resource URI in the
Location: field of a 303 response.

That is, if you do a GET looking for a Link: or 200/<link>, and
instead get a 303, use the Location: URI as the URI of the description
resource.

In no cases does this lead to any additional network traffic.

This establishes harmony between LRDD and the now well-established
linked data practice of using 303 to designate description resources.

If a 303 response has both Link:/describedBy and Location: , we can
treat the redundancy the same way redundancy is treated among the
other LRDD methods.

Best
Jonathan

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-discovery-03