W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > June 2009

Preliminary agenda for TAG F2F of 23-25 June 2009

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:38:21 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: amy@w3.org
Message-ID: <OF8A41245F.70716832-ON852575D2.0055368E-852575D2.00559678@lotus.com>
A preliminary draft of the agenda for the June 2009 TAG F2F is available 
at [1].  A text-only copy is also appended to this email.  Topics to be 
discussed, session lengths, etc. are subject to change.   We'll take a 
first look at this on our teleconference today.

Most sessions have a designated Session sheperd, who will be responsible 
for ensuring that appropriate background and reading material is linked 
from the agenda, and in general that we are suitably prepared for 
discussion.  Thank you.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/06/23-agenda


--------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn 
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
1-617-693-4036
--------------------------------------

   [1]W3C | [2]TAG | Previous teleconference: [3]11 June 2009 | Next
   teleconference: 16th July 2009 (tentative).

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/06/11-minutes


     TAG face-to-face meeting, 23-25 June 2009 — MIT Stata Center,
                          Cambridge, MA, USA

   PRELIMINARY VERSION

   Nearby: [4]issues list - [5]findings - [6]www-tag archive - [7]tag
   archive - Actions: ([8]open, [9]pending review)

      [4] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues

      [5] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/findings

      [6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/

      [7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/

      [8] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/open

      [9] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/pendingreview


   Regrets: T.V. Raman will be participating by phone from the West
   Coast, and will be available only for afternoon sessions.

Agenda Summary

   Tues 23rd June
   Agenda
   08:00-9:00 Arrive & Set up
   The meeting room will be available. Please have your computers and
   network connections set up for a prompt start at 9AM.
   09:00-9:15 [10]Convene
   Appoint Scribes, Review F2F Logistics, etc
   09:15-9:30 [11]Review F2F Goals and Agenda
   9:30-10:30 [12]W3C work on Web APIs
   10:30-10:45 Break (15 mins)
   10:45-12:00 [13]Language Versioning and HTML (session 1 of 2)
   12:00-13:15 Lunch (75 mins)
   13:15-14:45 [14]Web Application State Management (session 1 of 2)
   14:45-15:00 Break (15 mins)
   15:00-16:30 [15]JavaScript Security
   16:30-17:00 [16]TAG Administration: future meetings, etc.
   Weds 24th June
   Agenda
   09:00-10:15 [17]The Mobile Web
   10:15-10:45 Break (30 mins)
   10:45-12:00 [18]Metadata access and formats
   12:00-13:15 Lunch (75 mins)
   13:15-14:45 [19]Naming Schemes
   14:45-15:15 Break (30 mins)
   15:15-16:15 [20]Web Application State Management (session 2 of 2)
   16:15-17:00 ...available...
   Thurs 25th June
   Agenda
   09:00-10:30 [21]Language Versioning and HTML (session 2 of 2)
   10:30-10:45 Break (15 mins)
   10:45-12:00 [22]HTTP Semantics
   12:00-13:30 Lunch (75 mins)
   13:30-15:00 [23]TAG Priorities
   16:00-17:00 ...those who are not traveling may wish to stay for
   informal discussion...
   Unscheduled topics
   There are some other topics we may decide to discuss in the free
   time slots. Suggested discussion goals and preparation materials are
   available in the section linked below.
   [24]Unscheduled topics

   Note that preparation is also encouraged for some items for which
   [25]fixed time slots have not been allocated. We may or may not
   decide to discuss some or all of these, presumably in the sessions
   not yet scheduled.

Logistics

   (there is also a separate [26]logistics page)

     [26] 
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/06/06-f2f-local-arrangements.html


   Venue
          MIT, Stata Center
          32 Vassar Street
          Cambidge, MA 02139

   Schedule:
          Tue 23 June: 09:00 - 17:00
          Wed 24 June: 09:00 - 17:00
          Thurs 25 June: 09:00 - 16:00

Agenda Details

    1. Convene
    Goals:
          + Appoint scribes
          + Review F2F logistics
          + Approve minutes of telconferences (are there any old
            minutes to approve?)
    2. Review F2F Goals and Agenda
    Session shepherd:
       Noah Mendelsohn
       Session goals:
          + Review F2F Goals
               o Establish more clearly TAG priorities for coming year
               o Set goals and decide next steps for [27]ISSUE-60
                 (WebApplicationState-60) and for working draft
                 [28]Usage Patterns For Client-Side URI parameters
               o Decide whether further TAG work on extensibility and
                 versioning will be cost effective, and in particular
                 whether it will likely have positive impact on the
                 development of HTML 5.
               o Decide whether the TAG should be working more actively
                 in areas relating to use of the Web with "mobile"
                 devices.
               o Decide whether the TAG should begin consideration of
                 architectural issues relating to W3C standardization
                 of APIs used for Web Application development.
               o Make progress on other open TAG issues (e.g. metadata,
                 use of URI schemes, security, etc.)
          + Review F2F Agenda ([29]this document)
    Preparation:
          + [30]Whiteboard summary of proposed TAG priorities from
            March 2009 TAG F2F.
          + [31]TAG F2F Priorities email from Noah
    3. W3C Work on Web APIs
    Session shepherd:
       Ashok Malhotra
       Background:
       Traditionally, most of the W3C's Recommendations have focused on
       data formats such as HTML, identification mechanisms such as
       URI's, etc. With the rise of AJAX, JavaScript and similar APIs
       have become an increasingly important aspect of content and
       application development for the Web
       Session goals:
          + Discuss technical and architectural issues relating to Web
            APIs.
          + Decide:
               o Whether there are technical issues relating to APIs
                 that merit ongoing consideration by the TAG
               o Decide whether the TAG should play a role in helping
                 the W3C to decide whether to undertake work in this
                 area, and/or how to structure charters for such work
    Preparation:
          + To be supplied
    4. Language Versioning and HTML
    Session shepherds:
       Jonathan Rees, Larry Masinter
       Background:
       The TAG has for years studied the means used to evolve document
       and programming languages, and techniques for maximizing
       interoperability as languages evolve. We have also considered
       the structure and evolution of HTML in particular, including the
       tradeoffs between "tag soup" and XHTML views of robustness and
       error handling. This session is scheduled because some TAG
       members have recently proposed that we may be able to apply our
       analyses of language versioning to HTML in particular.
       TAG Issues relating to this discussion:
          + [32]ISSUE-20 (errorHandling-20) What should specifications
            say about error handling? — shepherd: Henry Thompson
          + [33]ISSUE-33 (mixedUIXMLNamespace-33) Composability for
            user interface-oriented XML namespaces — no shepherd
          + [34]ISSUE-41 (LanguageVersioning-41) What are good
            practices for designing extensible languages and for
            handling versioning? — shepherd: Larry Masinter
          + [35]ISSUE-54 (TagSoupIntegration-54) Tag soup integration
            — shepherd: Henry Thompson
    Background:
          + To be supplied
    Session goals (both sessions):
          + Decide whether further work on versioning by the TAG is
            likely to have a constructive effect on HTML in particular
          + Consider, as a framework, the [36]draft prepared by Larry
            Masinter and Jonathan Rees
          + Decide which issue(s) we will use to track this work, and
            ensure that shepherds have been identified.
    Preparation:
          + To be supplied
    5. [37]ISSUE-60: Web Application State Management
    Session shepherd:
       T.V. Raman
       Background:
          + The TAG has recently issued a First Public Working Draft
            titled [38]Usage Patterns For Client-Side URI parameters
    Session goals:
          + Make plans for further work on Client Side URI parameters
          + Plan next draft of [39]Usage Patterns For Client-Side URI
            parameters
    Preparation:
          + First Public Working Draft of [40]Usage Patterns For
            Client-Side URI parameters
    6. JavaScript Security
    Session shepherd:
       Jonathan Rees
       Background:
          + The TAG recently [41]discussed JavaScript technologies such
            as [42]Caja, which apply capability-based sandboxing
            techniques to JavaScript. The goal is to support the "safe"
            execution of untrusted JavaScript code in a Web page.
          + The chair does not believe that we currently have an open
            issue that would provide for continued work in this area.
          + [43]ACTION-274: See if I can reconstruct a discussion with
            tlr where present course and speed will lead to GET-based
            links becoming regarded as unsafe - on Dan Connolly. This
            is marked PENDING REVIEW, and it appears that no followup
            on unsafe GET is planned.
    Session goals:
          + Clarify significant use cases for safe execution of
            untrusted code in Web pages (I.e. remind ourselves why we
            care).
          + Further educate the TAG regarding technical work and
            standardization efforts relating to safe execution of
            untrusted code in Web pages.
          + Decide whether the TAG has a continued interest in working
            in this area, and if so, with what goals.
          + Open an issue and assign a shephard, if appropriate.
    Preparation:
          + To be supplied
    7. Mobile Web
    Session shepherd:
       John Kemp
       Background:
          + John Kemp has offered to give us an overview of important
            issue relating to the Mobile Web, based on his 10 years of
            experience working in that area.
    Goals:
          + Get better informed about the Mobile Web, related
            architectural challenges
          + Decide whether the TAG wants to undertake work relating
            specifically to the Mobile Web. If so, open issues, assign
            shepherds, and agree on next steps as appropriate.
    Background:
          + To be supplied
    8. Metadata Access and Formats
    Session shepherds:
       Ashok Malhotra (metadata access), Jonathan Rees (metadata
       formats and ontologies)
       TAG Issues relating to this discussion:
          + [44]ISSUE-57 (HttpRedirections-57) The use of HTTP
            Redirection — shepherd: Jonathan Rees
          + [45]ISSUE-62 (UniformAccessToMetadata-62) — shepherd: Ashok
            Malhotra (this issue was "split" from issue-57 at the
            [46]March 2009 TAG F2F meeting.)
          + [47]ISSUE-63 (MetadataFramework-63) Metadata on the web:
            representations and ontologies? — shepherd: Larry Masinter
            ([48]ACTION-254 calls for Larry to announce creation of
            this issue on www-tag.)
          + [49]ISSUE-54 (TagSoupIntegration-54) Tag soup integration
            — shepherd: Henry Thompson
    Background:
          + As noted above, we discussed metadata access and formats at
            the [50]March 2009 TAG F2F meeting, and we now have 3
            issues open, but it's not clear that we are making good
            progress.
          + Some TAG members have informed the chair that this area is
            of interest to them.
    Goals:
          + Take stock of where we are on all of the above, and see
            what if anything we actually want to do.
    Preparation:
          + To be supplied
    9. Naming Schemes
    Session shepherd:
       Henry Thompson
       Background:
          + [51]ISSUE-50 (URNsAndRegistries-50): URIs, URNs, "location
            independent" naming systems and associated registries for
            naming on the Web - shepherd: Henry Thompson
          + May also be related to [52]ISSUE-49 (schemeProtocols-49):
            Relationship of URI schemes to protocols and operations -
            no shepherd assigned
    Goals:
          + Make sure we are agreed on target audience, success
            criteria, etc. for this work.
          + Review the new Dirk and Nadia draft
          + Consider whether this work should be better coordinated
            with, e.g., [53]ISSUE-49.
          + Decide on next steps.
         Preparation:
          + June 2009 draft of [54]Dirk and Nadia design a naming
            scheme (the new draft is promised within the next few days
            — this agenda will be updated with a pointer to the new
            copy when available)
   10. HTTP Semantics (AWWSW)
    Session shepherd:
       Jonathan Rees
       Background:
          + Jonathan Rees has been participating in the regular
            teleconferences of a group attempting to more formally
            define the semantics of HTTP ([55]email archives). This
            work was started, at least informally, under the auspices
            of the TAG.
          + Recently, discussions have focused on trying to clarify the
            concept of Information Resource, particularly in the case
            of Generic Resources. Some questions have arisen, and the
            TAG's input may be helpful in resolving them.
    Goals:
          + Get a summary from Jonathan of progress that's been made,
            and questions that have arisen.
          + Provide guidance on the nature of Information Resources and
            Generic Resources.
          + Decide whether continued involvement in attempts to
            formalize HTTP semantics remains a priority for the TAG.
    Preparation:
          + To be supplied
   11. TAG Priorities
    Session shepherd:
       Noah Mendelsohn
       Background:
          + Discussion of TAG priorities at the [56]March 2009 TAG F2F
            (see minutes of all days, as there were several sessions,
            and also several lists of potential work areas.)
          + [57]Summary of potential priority work areas gathered on
            flip charts at the end of the March F2F
          + Emails from the chair:
               o [58]summary of materials relating to TAG priorities
               o [59]request that the next round of discussions of
                 goals and priorities be done using email ([60]response
                 from Tim).
    Goals:
          + Get a summary from Jonathan of progress that's been made,
            and questions that have arisen.
          + Provide guidance on the nature of Information Resources and
            Generic Resources.
          + Decide whether continued involvement in attempts to
            formalize HTTP semantics remains a priority for the TAG.
   12. TAG Administration
    Goals:
          + Discuss dates for future F2F meetings
          + Consider TAG plans for particiation in the [61]November W3C
            Technical Plenary and AC Meeting (TPAC)
          + Discuss summer teleconference scheduling
   13. Unscheduled items
       No specific discussion time is allocated to the following, but
       we may choose to discuss these in some of the free time slots.
          + ACTION-265 Work with Larry, Henry to frame technical issues
            relating to the vairous overlapping specs. about URIs, IRIs
            and encoding on the wire - on Dan Connolly - Due 19 June
            2009
          + ACTION-264 Draft agenda item for upcoming telcon discussion
            of geolocation and privacy - on Ashok Malhotra - Due 3 June
            2009
          + Sniffing - see actions 257 (Noah) & 264 (Larry)

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/60

     [28] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-hash-in-uri-20090415/

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/06/

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/03/05-whiteboard-priorities.txt

     [31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2009May/0081.html

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/20

     [33] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/33

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/20

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/20

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/06/23-agenda.html

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/60

     [38] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-hash-in-uri-20090415/

     [39] http://www.w3.org/TR/hash-in-uri/

     [40] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-hash-in-uri-20090415/

     [41] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/05/28-minutes.html#item06

     [42] http://code.google.com/p/google-caja/

     [43] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/274

     [44] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/57

     [45] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/62

     [46] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/06/23-agenda.html

     [47] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/20

     [48] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/254

     [49] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/20

     [50] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/06/23-agenda.html

     [51] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/50

     [52] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/49

     [53] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/49

     [54] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/namingSchemes.html

     [55] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-awwsw/

     [56] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/03/03-agenda.html

     [57] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/03/05-whiteboard-priorities.txt

     [58] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Mar/0138.html

     [59] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Mar/0139.html

     [60] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Apr/0029.html

     [61] http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/overview.html



    Noah Mendelsohn for TAG
    $Revision: 1.8 $ of $Date: 2009/06/11 15:31:45 $

       [62]Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional     [63]Valid CSS!

     [62] http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer

     [63] http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/check/referer





Received on Thursday, 11 June 2009 15:36:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:48:14 GMT