From: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com [mailto:noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 17 July 2009 17:48
To: n.paskin@tertius.ltd.uk
Cc: 'David Booth'; n.paskin@doi.org; 'www-tag'
Subject: RE: DOI "fact sheet"

Norman Paskin writes:

> We could certainly improve the factsheet to reference the RFC
> 3986 position, and would welome your suggestions for doing so.

Speaking for myself as a TAG working group member (I.e. not as chair or
representing the TAG as a whole):  I think that would be the appropriate
next step.  I think that RFC 3986 makes significant strides in clarifying
the use of the terms in question.  I think it would make sense for your
document to summarize and/or refer to the definitions in 3986, and perhaps
if it's helpful to your readership also point out that prior to 3986 there
was indeed ambiguity and confusion in the use of these terms, but that the
usage in 3986 is what is correct as of its publication as an RFC (if not
before).

If it's helpful, I'm sure readers of www-tag and perhaps the TAG itself
would be glad to review and comment on any such proposed revisions. Again,
this is just my personal suggestion.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation