Re: Framing an Architecture for Metadata on the Web

Thanks, Larry.
A couple of comments inline
All the best, Ashok

Larry Masinter wrote:

> This email is intended to initiate a framing of ISSUE-63, and to
> satisfy ACTION-254:

> Proposed Architecture for Metadata on the Web
>
> Various W3C specifications (as well as specs from other organizations)
> contain the notion of representing "metadata". While the word
> "metadata" has many broad definitions, for the purposes of this
> discussion, it's proposed to consider the application of semantics --
> meaning -- specifically to the description of network resources and
> data. If a URI identifies a resource, metadata describes a resource.
> While the scope of "metadata" is ambiguous, at its core, it is
> necessary for a metadata model to clearly address the common metadata of

[AM] You lost the end of the line

> There are a number of W3C work products and questions which touch on
> metadata and would benefit from an architectural approach to metadata.
> This issue is to develop a framework for approaching metadata which
> allows development and growth in a coherent way of:
>
> * Metadata model: what is the "data model" for typical metadata
> applications – the datatypes of the endpoints

[AM] Metadata comes is all kinds of flavors and formats. I don't want a
recommendation that says, for example, you must use RDF for all metadata.

> * Metadata serialization: how can metadata be encoded in a
> representation system, be it RDF or something else
>
> * Metadata vocabularies: what are appropriate vocabularies for
> describing various media objects and network services? What is the
> process by which new vocabularies can or should be developed,
> described, extended or changed?
>
> * Metadata linking: What are the various ways in which metadata can be
> associated with “data” or other resources? Link relationships,
> protocol elements, mechanisms for embedding metadata in various kinds
> of data.

[AM] This is http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/62 and I
think we should track it separately.