Re: Review of new HTTPbis text for 303 See Other

Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
>
>> Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> As I said in another post, I think http-range-14 is terrible, but
>>> all the alternatives are worse.
>> Of course there is no better alternative because there is *not* a
>> problem at the first place. The problem is created by pushing IR into
>> the Web architecture.  But just like the web architecture should not
>> deal with hamburgers, it should not deal with IR as well.

>>> Of course not. But it also does not mean, "get me an
>>> awww:representation" of the hamburger. Or at least, it had better
>>> not mean that, since hamburgers don't have awww:representations. Web
>>> pages about hamburgers can represent (not awww:represent) a
>>> hamburger, and they of course have awww:representations. But an
>>> awww:repreresentation of a representation of X is not an
>>> awww:representation of X.
>> I mentioned that let us not ignore *the existence of an agent* -- the
>> one who implements the URI.  I do not know if a hamburger *can or
>> cannot* have an awww:representation because I am not a hamburger.
>> But I do know that *I can* give a hamburger an awww:representation.
>> You don't have to believe me, that is none of my business.
>
> True, I don't have to, but I would like to know a little more about
> HOW you would create an awww:representation - or, which I believe to
> be synonymous, a representation in  the sense used in Roy's REST
> thesis - of a hamburger. I will take mine without tomatoes, well done
> and dressed with mayo and mustard.  So, to check our understanding,
> this must be a representation, encoded in a byte stream, which stands
> in the same relation to a hamburger that the html which I get back
> from, say, the Amazon website stands in to that web page.
>
> Maybe we should take this offline if it is annoying others, but I
> actually think it might be quite informative about our various
> clashing intuitions here.
[I will make this public as if our discussion were desired as Ray has
expressed.]

To answer your HOW-to question, allow me to use my proposed scheme-less
URI convention.

Assume that I own the domain name "xiaoshu.wang" and I designated the
(scheme-less) URI:  "//xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger" to denote the hamburger
burning on the grill of my backyard on a sunny day.

In our traditional web jargon, the URI -- "//xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger"
-- is an absolute URN, hence its semantics is only about denotation.

There are many ways that we can get a representation (in the most
general philosophical sense) of "//xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger".

We can *see* it, i.e., by turning our head and opening our eyes so light
rays can bounce off the hamburger into our eyes.  Let's denote this
particular kind of representation retrieval with a URI scheme -- see, as
follows:

"see://xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger"

In our web jargon, the above URI is a URL because it is bound with the
transportation protocol "SEE".  By this URL, we can get back a
representation, in the form of a bunch of photons delivered to our retina.

Similarly, we can

hear://xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger (with air pressures as representations
delivered to our eardrum)
get://xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger (some heat, pressure, as representations
delivered to our hand)
eat://xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger (some fat, carbo, salt, as
representations shuffled down to our throat)
http://xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger (some document packed in bits as
representations delivered to our laptop or desktop or your palmtop....)

So, what is the HOW that you want to know?  Is it "how do we see, hear,
eat, and HTTP"?  Then, take a biology class or in the latter case, read
the HTTP spec.  But here is the point: we don't need to know how we see
in order to see (i.e., to perceive the photons) because our body just
*can*.  By the same token, we don't need to know how the Web delivers an
awww:representation in order to use the  awww:representation because the
Web just *can*.

So, I do not think that is the reason for you to ask the know-HOW.  The
reason that you want to ask the KNOW-how is that you want to feel
confident in taking the content carried in a representation to be true
(or false).  This is a valid concern.  But the only way to increase that
confidence is to gather more information.  There is no other way
around.  For instance, even if you see the hamburger, don't you still
need some additional information to make sure what you see is not a
reflection from a mirror or simply not a mirage?  Does knowing how human
see helps you any more than not-knowing it? It is the same with
IR/httpRange-14.  Even if we all complied, don't you still need to know
if someone gets it right or wrong before committing to your truth?

For instance, if I take "http://xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger" to denote a
hamburger.  When you de-reference that URI, you get back a 200.  But
after reading my awww:representation, you may say "No, you cannot do
that because ....".  But the real cause is that our interpretation about
HTTP could be different in the same way that our interpretation about
hamburger, dog, or IR could be different.  But aren't we taking about a
hamburger, what the heck does it has anything to do with dog, IR, or HTTP?

The cause of all these mess is either our confusion with messing up
representation with resource, or, the duality of HTTP-URI as both a name
and a locator.  If we separate "[http:]//xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger" --
the URN -- from "http://xiaoshu.wang/a.hamburger" -- the URL, I don't
think you will have much concerns.  Do you?

Xiaoshu