Re: Review of new HTTPbis text for 303 See Other

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:32:02 +0200
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>

On 12 Jul 2009, at 00:47, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> What does "transferable" add to representation?
> Would it be possible for someone to give an example of an
> *un*transferable representation?

I think the word "transferable" just adds a bit of wiggle room that
allows the server not to send the representation even if it has one.
An example might be a client that is not authorized to view the
resource, and the server 303-redirects it to a preview of the
resource. Another example might be a representation that is too large
for a mobile client on a slow connection. There might be many reasons
why a server, even though it technically speaking has a
representation, would prefer to redirect a client to some other
resource instead.

(I didn't write Roy's text and am obviously just guessing.)

Richard