Re: FYI: new draft of site-meta; now well-known

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:05:18 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>

The leading dot seems like it will cause confusion for Unix newbies.
For example, users could create the directory in public-html and watch
it "disappear". -well-known would not have that problem. Or

B.1.  Aren't well-known locations bad for the Web?

   They are, but for various reasons -- both technical and social --
   they are commonly used, and their use is increasing.  This memo
   defines a "sandbox" for them, to reduce the risks of collision and to
   minimise the impact upon pre-existing URIs on sites.

I'd suggest that if the authors think that well-known locations are a
bad thing then they should point potential implementers towards the
better thing.