Re: Review of new HTTPbis text for 303 See Other

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:01:29 -0700
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
On Jul 9, 2009, at 9:04 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
> Hmm, then I am puzzled. Does 303 redirection really imply that the
> server **does not have** a transferable representation? Surely 303
> redirection is used under other circumstances than this,
> circumstances which have nothing whatever to do with http-range-14
> and were being used before the http-range-14 issue was even raised?
> No?

No, at least not for GET requests.  303 (See Other) was originally
defined as "redirect with a different method" and not fully specified.
When HTTP was standardized, 303 became "see other" for the specific
purpose of redirecting a non-GET request to a GET of another resource.
Defining a specific purpose for 303 in response to a GET is what we
are doing right now.  There was no pre-existing usage of 303 in response
to a GET prior to the HTTPrange issue being decided.

....Roy