Re: Review of new HTTPbis text for 303 See Other

From: J Ross Nicoll <jrn@jrn.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 14:17:17 +0100
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>> That just seems plain false. A 303 does not indicate that something
>> does not exist. It simply indicates that the server, for reasons which
>> may be entirely opaque and nobody is under any obligation to explain,
>> has decided to redirect the query elsewhere.
>
> No, we have other redirect codes for that.

As I understand it, 301 (moved permanently), 302 (found) and 307 (not
modified) all indicate a different location for the resource, never for
an alternative to it. 304 is "Not modified", and 305/6 are
deprecated/reserved respectively. So, I don't think there is any other
redirect code for "Instead of the resource you requested, please see
this resource instead"...