Re: Review of new HTTPbis text for 303 See Other

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Roy T. Fielding<fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> That's because you happen to be reading it differently than
> what I was thinking when I wrote it.  The sentence is a bit
> ambiguous if you don't pay attention to what the second "that"
> means.  If it is reordered to say
>
>  A 303 response to a GET request indicates that the server does
>  not have a transferable representation of the requested resource
>  and is instead redirecting the client to some other resource
>  for further information.
>
> then I think the objection is handled without watering down
> the purpose of using the status code on a GET.
>
> ....Roy

Excellent! The rewording you give above would be fine with me - I
would be satisfied if HTTPbis said this, or something equivalent.
(because then the choice to yield a 303 can be attributed to the
server, and would not necessarily reflect on the nature of the
resource - "the server does not have" vs. "the resource does not
have".)

Best
Jonathan