RE: Can "http://danbri.org" and "http://danbri.org/" URIs represent different things?

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Larry Masinter wrote:

> Allowing http://danbri.org and http://danbri.org/ to "represent"
> different things would be a bad design choice. Don't do it.

There is the interesting case of 'OPTIONS' in RFC 2616.

OPTIONS * HTTP/1.1
Host: danbri.org

<<
    The four options for Request-URI are dependent on the nature of the
    request. The asterisk "*" means that the request does not apply to a
    particular resource, but to the server itself, and is only allowed
    when the method used does not necessarily apply to a resource.

as opposed to
OPTIONS / HTTP/1.1
Host: danbri.org

Issue is... there is no way to express in an URI that you want to do a
OPTIONS * htp://danbri.org instead of http://danbri.org/ is the closest
way of indicating such request (but still far from identifying something
abstract).

         ~~Yves