Re: Link: relation registry and 303

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 09:25:42 +1100
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
To: "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>

On 31/01/2009, at 3:59 AM, Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:
> So... lets just leave the registered relation names as absolute
> URIRefs, and lets please continue to take the view that the things
> those registered and "non-registered" full URIRefs denote are link
> relations rather than there describing documents - and lets just
> concede (if we have to) that as a source of information about the
> link-relation that description document is more to be believed than
> what might be inferred from a 200 or 303 response code.
>
> But... please lets not jump through some twisted hoops that have
> some of the link rel names being URI (albeit relative URI) and
> others not... and please, if we mean the URI to denote link
> relations lets say that that's what they denote when we describe
> them - in the long run I think that would make life much simpler for
> someone 5-10years down the road wondering what planet we were on.

Perhaps you misunderstand. I'm not proposing that registered vs. non-
registered be split to solve this problem; rather, it was something
already in the works, primarily based upon feedback from the HTML5
community.

They were concerned that, historically, link relations have been
compared in a case-insensitive fashion, which makes working with URIs
much more complex. Bifurcating it neatly solves this problem.