Re: Request for feedback: HTTP-based Resource Descriptor Discovery

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:26:37 -0500
Cc: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>

On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:
> But this is *exactly* the issue that arises when one wishes, for
> example, to indicate that one URI has been deprecated by another
> URI: you need to talk about the *URI*, not about the resource
> *denoted* by the URI.  So I do think it is important to raise this
> point.

You and I think this issue is important, but I don't think it
necessarily has to be addressed by the two drafts in question (Link:
and resource discovery), since neither specifies how a Link: is to be
translated to RDF. Plausible deniability would say that when we
convert to RDF we can do as we like, and in particular we can preserve
the URI.

I could go either way on this and would be happy if you promoted this
clarification with Eran and Mark. I'm out on too many limbs already...

Jonathan