Re: Introduction to URIs (was RE: WebArch introduction, sort of)

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> I might ask "what is correct?" and "what is a non-information resource"?
>>
>> My point wasn't to debate the merits of one definition or another,
>> it was exactly to point out that the question rests entirely on
>> terms that have no good definition by themselves, and that you might
>> as well resolve them by definition rather than continuing to debate
>> them.
>>

> Certainly one should resolve questions about them wrt to a definition,
> if possible. So when you answered "No, by definition", that seemed
> correct. Even if one can't tell an information resource from not an
> information resource (Impossible with the current definitions) if you
> are sure your resource isn't one, then you can't return 200.
>
> But then you through me off with
>
> Define "information resource" as a resource in which it is reasonable
> to expect to be able to retrieve a representation
>
> This isn't operational because we don't have a way to evaluate
> reasonableness in the abstract.
>
> If you said, instead, that an information resource one one for which
> you *have* received a representation, you would have something that is
> operational.

This kind of debate is never going to end. It is interesting that in
AWWW, it says: "We define the term “information resource” because we
observe that it is useful in discussions of Web technology and may be
useful in constructing specifications for facilities built for use on
the Web."

 From my limited knowledge, I am not aware of any practical web
application that is built upon the concept. Neither do I know that any
web application breaks because of it. The word "information resource"
has only raised confusions but not fruitions in any regards. If after
seven plus years no one has figured it out, something must be very wrong
about it.

For instance, my manuscript "Exploring HTTP content negotiation" to
WWW09 was turned down for some reason that leaves me speechless (such as
asking me to cite my own statement). One of the reviewer, for example,
said that "Although the idea....this is IMO violating the
resource/representation concept of the WWW", which is the whole point of
my argument.

So, let's ask: what is the architecture of the Web? Is it something
objective, like the physical laws that there is no way we cannot
disobey? or subjective, like a design principles that we try to cook up
so we can do more thing about it? I think it ought to be the latter. If
a solution that solves some problems but was shoot down for the reason
of violating "the web architecture", then this web architecture starts
becoming a religion, which working relies on our faith but intelligence.

The definition of "information resource" is dangerously leaning toward
the latter.

Xiaoshu