Re: "Authority" of HTTP-based Resource Descriptor

I agree with Larry's position that I summarize as that link constructs could
make assertions about locations of metadata.  I think that the discussion
about authority and trust has grown a little too academic and we should
focus on the real-world use cases.  I still fail to see how the web
architecture prohibits the discovery and link constructs that Eran and Mark
are working on, particularly why a retrieved representation cannot make
assertions about the location of metadata on non http resources - such as
mailto: URIs.

This reminds me of many of the discussions that Roy has led around
representations should be consistent to ensure a consistent world-view
across users, but there's nothing stopping the resource owner from serving
wildly different representations for even the same URI.  It's just that if
they do, they don't get the value of their users having a consistent world
view.  If I see cnn.com as always being about weather and you see cnn.com as
always being about the plant that's in your office, then cnn.com hasn't
gotten the benefit of a consistent world view.

The server gains benefit if all the metadata offered is consistent, and I
don't see any reason to preclude them from making inconsistent assertions.

Cheers,
Dave