Re: Near final draft of TAG finding on the Self-Describing Web

First, an apology.   When this thread first came in I read it too quickly
and thought it was about the RDFa stuff that's later in the
Self-describing Web draft.  So, my suggestion that we the TAG have
discussed this before is more false than true, and I apologize for that. I
agree that, unfortunately, the issue you've raised is substantive and
can't be danced around.

I don't want to drop all of section 4.2.3, because the story it tells
about URI-based extensibility is as much to motivate designers of new
languages as to explain how XML itself can be used.  Furthermore, XML
itself can be used in this dynamically extensible way, as long as it is
served with some (as yet not standardized) media type or in some other
context where the semantics are known.  So, I don't want to lose those
lessons, which are the key ones.  To try and resolve this, I've drafted a
proposed alternative version of section 4.2.3.  If you could review it
ASAP I would be grateful, as we have a teleconference scheduled for
Thursday, and there is a serious effort to try and move this finding
forward now, before we have new members to bring up to speed on all the
old discussions.

The new text is available at [1], with diffs from the previous
(problematic) text at [2].  I'd be very grateful for both of your thoughts
on this.  Does this resolve the concern?  Thank you.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/selfDescribingDocuments-3023.html
[2]
http://www.w3.org/2007/10/htmldiff?doc1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2001%2Ftag%2Fdoc%2FselfDescribingDocuments.html&doc2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2001%2Ftag%2Fdoc%2FselfDescribingDocuments-3023.html#XMLSpecs

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142