Re: Representation consistency and content negotiation

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:17:02 +0000
To: "elharo@metalab.unc.edu" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
CC: Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@cordance.net>, "'www-tag'" <www-tag@w3.org>

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Drummond Reed wrote:
>

>> #1: Requestor-dependent representations. Many sites return different
>> versions of a web page based on who is requesting it, such as a personalized
>> homepage. How does that fit with the rule? Is the cookie used to identify
>> the requestor considered implicitly part of the URI of the resource?
>>

> IMHO, that's a violation of the web architecture. The cookie is not part
> of the URI and should not be treated as such.
> http://www.example.com/joesmith and http://www.example.com/janedoe can
> be two different resources. http://www.example.com/ cannot be.

I don't think the argument is right because it effectively rules out all
kind of *service* as resource.  Cookies are simply some data that stored
at client side.  It is virtually part of the form data. I think web
engineers constantly use URI-rewrite once they found out a browser does
not handle cookie. That effectively makes cookie part of the URI.

Xiaoshu