Re: http+srv worth its own URI scheme? (ISSUE-49 schemeProtocols-49)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:47:35 -0600
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 11:39 -0700, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> > Does this slow down HTTP operations at all?
> > (What is the effect on the economy of slowing down an HTTP lookup by
> > each nanosecond?)
> Uh, not much, otherwise people would get rid of DNS for redirections
> that did not need and just use IP addresses for stuff that needs to be
> fast or encode the http/html in a way that was smaller and faster to
> parse.

People *do* take steps to improve DNS performance... enough people
that   http://www.opendns.com/ seems to be a viable business:

"OpenDNS is used today by millions of users and organizations
around the world."
 -- http://www.opendns.com/about/announcements/123/

I think the performance and economics questions are important here,
and I'm interested in any data you have (or anyone else has) to back
up intuitions about what's important and relevant.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E