Re: http+srv worth its own URI scheme? (ISSUE-49 schemeProtocols-49)

Hi all,

I really should say more about this in the draft and I would
appreciate your advice on the topic. The previous -00 version of this
draft just used the existing http https schemes and said do SRV. Some
people pointed out that this did not work well from a transition or
negotiation point of view. Imagine you have a server that was running
at www.example.com port 1234 and had a SRV record for it. Http client
A support SRV but client B does not. A gets the URL www.example.com
and connects to the correct thing. But client B does not know that it
can't correctly process this and can not give the user an error,
instead it connects to some web server running on port 80 of wherever
the A record for www.example.com points to.

A new scheme seemed like it provided a way to deal with this
transition and errors. That said, I would love it it the major web
browsers just did SRV  for http URL and it just worked - it's easy to
implement and the world would be a better place :-) However, I'm not
in a good position to judge the likelihood of anything like that
happening or what the best transition path from where we are today to
being able to use SRV is but I love any advice the tag has.

Thanks, Cullen

PS. I'm working with linksys folks so you can do something like have a
few NASs in your home behind a full cone  NAT. The NAS uses a service
like DynDNS to discover a public port on the NAT and then uses DynDNS
to configure www.mydomain.dyndns.org to point at that port. Then
someone can use a URL like http+srv://www.mydomain.dyndns.org to reach
that web server running on the NAS. This works with multiple media
servers or NASs in the home and allows things like facebook to reach
in and grab that content. It requires no static port forwarding on the
NAT and allowed multiple devices behind the same NAT to all do this.
When the NAS or NAT reboots or get a different IP address, things all
update automatically with no change to the URL. One way or another, I
need to solve this problem and ship something but I'm very open to
what is the best way to solve it.