Re: HTML and XML

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:38:52 +0000
Cc: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk>, www-tag@w3.org
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
On 16 Feb 2009, at 12:06, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> In one graduate course (with the majority of students being PhD
>> students), the students were supposed to produce a simple RDF/XML
>> document. The majority of the submissions (IIRC) were not well
>> formed XML.
>
> I really having trouble believing this, unless the students weren't
> told about how XML syntax works (were they?), and how to check it
> (such as simply dropping the document into IE).

Oh, when trying to repair the DLDP xml dump, I assure you that simply
dropping a multimegabyte file into IE wasn't straightforward. Nor was
correcting the errors. A forgiving parser that gave me a DOM to work
with (e.g., to xquery) would have been a boon.

It would be much nicer to deal with even mal-formed XML if I could
use the XML toolchain. (E.g., transforms, schematron rules, etc.)
Have to deal with stuff at the text level is very difficult (for me,
anyway, esp. when it's big).

Cheers,
Bijan.