Re: HTML and XML

On Feb 15, 2009, at 7:35 PM, www-tag@w3.org wrote:

> Jeff, my email address is[snip]

tnx
good to be able to reply directly

> I understand you were "me to-ing" some of Thompson's statements, but
> you did claim a certain epistemic status in virtue of your particular
> experience. I dispute that status.

okay...
I do not claim to be "an expert"
just a humble teacher of practitioners
with a bit of experience

and nowhere near as much as many on this list

> I also dispute both Thompson's sentiments(?) and the evidence he's
> thus presented. And yours as well. :)

okay

> For example, I don't think there is a "notable" lack of people
> advocating XML5.

use in the world will tell that tale
in the end

> You claim, based on your teaching experience, that it is not hard to
> learn to create valid and wellformed XML consistency. There's a lot of
> evidence against it as a general claim and without specifics of your
> sample, its hard to draw sensible conclusions. Indeed, there should
> be, contra what seems to be the presumption here, a pretty strong
> presumption *against* XML's ease. (Just on general grounds of how
> people fare with formal languages; how we handle error in natural
> language, etc.)

woah
you sound pretty "hot" about this...
I do have an opinion
based upon a few years of experience
but that is all...
and I think I am entitled to express that opinion
just as you are entitled to express yours

> In other words, methodologically, it seems safer to presume that
> people will do poorly at authoring well formed XML, and then be
> surprised when they don't.

and here is where we differ

I'm not sure what I wrote that
got you this "hot under the collar" at me
but
I think we each understand
the position of the other now
so
I'm for letting more folks on the list
get on with the discussion

and now
back to my <expletive_deleted/> end-of-term grading

jeffs

--
"I remember Djindjic said, 'If you are forced
to eat frogs, take the biggest one first.' But

Prof. Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/
http://chw.rit.edu/blog/