RE: Question on the boundaries of content negotiation in the context of the Web of Data

From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) <skw@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:48:31 +0000
To: Michael Hausenblas <michael.hausenblas@deri.org>, Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Hello Michael,

Well I'm sorry that you appear to find my responses on the topic unhelpful and even off topic!

As for citations, I've already mention http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#frag-coneg somewhere in this thread, which is pertinant, and I think that Jonathan has given pretty sound respond wrt to expectations arising from revisting and sharing web references. The TAG finding at http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/alternatives-discovery.html though, as I recall, is less careful about speaking in terms of URI for variant (or specific) resources than URI for variant representations than I would like. [I reject the notion that the URI names/identifies the awww:representation returned - it names/identifies the resource that the awww:representation is of].

Roy Fieldings writings on REST are relevant and the short paper[1] particularly the description of resources and representations is worth a read if you have not done so.

There may be more to find in the deep and long history of writings about the web... particularly in respect of content-negotiation, but I don't know where they are either.

Regards,

Stuart
--
[1] http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/webarch_icse2000.pdf

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England