RE: Question on the boundaries of content negotiation in the context of the Web of Data

Hello Michael,

Well I'm sorry that you appear to find my responses on the topic unhelpful and even off topic!

As for citations, I've already mention http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#frag-coneg somewhere in this thread, which is pertinant, and I think that Jonathan has given pretty sound respond wrt to expectations arising from revisting and sharing web references. The TAG finding at http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/alternatives-discovery.html though, as I recall, is less careful about speaking in terms of URI for variant (or specific) resources than URI for variant representations than I would like. [I reject the notion that the URI names/identifies the awww:representation returned - it names/identifies the resource that the awww:representation is of].

Roy Fieldings writings on REST are relevant and the short paper[1] particularly the description of resources and representations is worth a read if you have not done so.

There may be more to find in the deep and long history of writings about the web... particularly in respect of content-negotiation, but I don't know where they are either.

Regards,

Stuart
--
[1] http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/webarch_icse2000.pdf

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England