Re: broken links in W3C documents and recommendations

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:57:55 +0100
To: "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <rden@loc.gov>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, www-tag@w3.org

Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:

> From: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
>> In fact, this disappearance of documents at those URIs was not due to
>> a clerical error on IETF’s webmaster’s part: it is IETF policy
>> currently to remove documents which have expired from the official
>> “Internet-drafts” repository.
>
> This IETF practice has been a source of iritation to me for years.  I
> have links to Internet Drafts in many documents and it would seem that
> they could grasp the simple concept of a URI for the "latest version",
> as the W3C does. I have spoken with IETF officials about this several
> times, and the fact is, they cannot grasp this concept.  Maybe someone
> in the W3C can explain it to them better than I can.

I think what you're missing is that this is not out of ignorance, but on
purpose:

"Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference material
or to cite them other than as “work in progress”."

BR, Julian