Re: broken links in W3C documents and recommendations

From: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
> In fact, this disappearance of documents at those URIs was not due to
> a clerical error on IETF’s webmaster’s part: it is IETF policy
> currently to remove documents which have expired from the official
> “Internet-drafts” repository.

This IETF practice has been a source of iritation to me for years.  I have
links to Internet Drafts in many documents and it would seem that they could
grasp the simple concept of a URI for the "latest version", as the W3C does.
I have spoken with IETF officials about this several times, and the fact is,
they cannot grasp this concept.  Maybe someone in the W3C can explain it to
them better than I can.

--Ray