PhoneGap and W3C Widgets convergence

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:59:30 +0100
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
To: www-tag@w3.org
Hi,

I just noticed ACTION-345 "Investigate possible convergence of PhoneGap and W3C Widgets" [0].

Just as an FYI:

  - the DAP WG is taking input from PhoneGap into consideration, and is looking at PhoneGap as a potential implementation vector  this is not directly related to widgets per se, but having the same APIs makes using the same packaging format a whole lot more useful;

  - and more to the point, Dan Brickley (copied) has been toying with making PhoneGap able to take a W3C Widget as input to essentially "compile" it for the various target platforms. This is similar to the approach that RIM uses whereby they munge widgets into another format that works with their Java-based stack.

I don't know how far Dan's gone with his experiment and I certainly don't want to put him on the spot (Hi Dan!) but it'd be a shame if Noah had to duplicate investigation that's already been performed.

[0] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/345

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/