Re: Historical - Re: Proposed IETF/W3C task force: "Resource meaning" Review of new HTTPbis text for 303 See Other

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:58:51 -0400
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Tim Berners-Lee<timbl@w3.org> wrote:
> On 2009-08 -04, at 00:57, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> There are a number of possible paths, as I see it:
> - Let the verbs be used however anyone wants to and have them lose
> any distinct meaning. As an example of the sort of direction this
> leads us in is one of the ways AWWSW tried to make sense of
> Information Resource, by calling it a "200 responder".  Circular, and
> not very informative.
> - Restrict the scope of things HTTP URIs can refer to, paring the
> possibilities to those sorts of things conceived of when HTTP was
> first created.  I get the sense that some in this forum would have it
> that way, but the direction the Semantic Web is going says otherwise.
> - Start introducing some distinctions into the specifications and
> therefore letting there be room again for the verbs to retain some
> meaning, albeit by perhaps saying that some of them can't be said
> about various sort of things, and that they may mean different things
> when applied to different sorts of things.
> The latter is what I propose, and really the way we went with HTTP-Range14
> and 303.  The TAG did it by talking about "Information Resource" as a
> subclass
> of "Resource", but I'm just thinking "document" (and service) as a subclass
> of "thing"
> will make better matches with the existing cognitive associations for
> typical engineers.

Yes, I recognize that. But given the conversation we're having I think
there's a lot more that has to be done. Scanning through the httpbis
draft still finds language plenty of language that is unfortunate, for

    The "http" scheme is used to locate network resources via the HTTP  protocol

(it does more than locate network resources - it is used to get
information about any resources)

    "The action performed by the POST method might not result in a
resource that can be identified by a URI"

(any resource *can* be identified by a URI)