Re: rel=CURIE in RDFa, but rel=URI in Link:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:12:21 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Does that mean there's no way to change it, and HTML5 needs to either
> adopt it or use a different notation?

Well, it is certainly too late to change, since it has gone through the
process, and it now being implemented and adopted.

>> Well, RDFa is being implemented as we speak too. At least RDFa followed
>> process and made sure that we had agreement on features before
>> implementing them. Ignoring W3C process and then saying "it's
>> implemented already, we can't change it now" is a guaranteed way to
>> create this sort of problem.
>
> I'm not going to defend the way the HTML WG does its work, as I happen
> to agree with this one. The issue is that that point of view doesn't
> help fixing the problem.

I just meant that the organised coordination channels are the way to do
it, the more so since other markups are adopting RDFa, and will be party
to the discussion.

>>> Which is great. I think that getting RDFa to work well in HTML4 is
>>> very important; I'm personally looking forward to get HTML4 documents
>>> including RDFa to successfully validate (even if I need to provide a
>>> different doctype).
>>  In the meantime you can use the XHTML+RDFa doctype to get it to
>> validate.
>
> Understood, but not really helpful.
>
> I personally like XHTML and use it everywhere where compatibility with
> IE is a non-issue (such as an intermediate format, or when I really
> don't care about IE users). But in the real world, people are stuck with
> HTML, and thus it would be good to have a convincing RDFa-in-HTML story.
> That would also help driving the HTML5 discussion.

Actually I never have any problems getting XHTML into IE to speak of, and
don't really understand the fuss. Even using application/xhtml+xml works
(see http://www.w3.org/International/tests/sec-ruby-markup-1.html as an
example). I know that there are some differences, but in the vast majority
of deployed pages, with a little forethought you're never going to have
any major issues.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton