Re: rel=CURIE in RDFa, but rel=URI in Link:

Well - I didn't reply because there was not a question.  Since you raise
it again, however, I will try:

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Shane,
>
> I noticed that you didn't reply to this email. We discussed this topic
> shortly on yesterday's HTML5 telco.
>
> From what I hear it seems your position is that either:
>
> 1) It's ok for XHTML2 and HTML5 to define conflicting syntax rules for
> @rel (and potentially @rev).
>
> 2) It *is* a problem, so HTML5 will need to adapt to what RDFa defines.
>
> Re 1: that would be a problem; it will make conversion of documents
> and document fragments much harder, and will create an inconsistency
> in the DOM.
>
> Re 2: I doubt that this is going to fly, but if you think this would
> be the right thing, please raise this point over in the HTML WG.
>
> BR, Julian
>
> PS: please note that I'm generally in *favor* of the RDFa approach,
> and I would like it to be fully adopted in HTML5 (and extensions to
> HTML4, btw). I just see a problem with introducing plain (non-safe)
> CURIEs in a place where others already want to use URIs.
I understand what you are saying.  However, I guess my response is that
I believe the XHTML 2 Working Group has scope in this space explicitly
by charter.  The group, in conjunction with the Semantic Web Deployment
Working Group, has defined RDFa and it has gone through the W3C
process.  It will very soon be a Recommendation.  This Recommendation
includes an XHTML Module that defines @rel /@rev and a bunch of other
things, and shows how they integrate with XHTML family markup
languages.  It says that the lexical space for @rel /@rev is " (reserved
word | CURIE
<http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-rdfa-syntax-20080619/#dt_curie>)+" and
defines the reserved words that are recognized by RDFa processors. If
someone else wants to extend that, they are going to need to find a way
to do it that is consistent with this Rec.  If there is no way for that
to happen, then it is an issue for the Hypertext Coordination Group, the
TAG, and / or the Director.

As to raising this with the HTML WG, there are representatives of the
RDFa Task Force who have been doing so for ages in the context of the
W3C group and the WHATWG.  I personally have stayed out of that
discussion.  HTML5 is years from adoption, and there is plenty of time
to iron out wrinkles like these.  If HTML5 is to be a player in the sem
web community, then it will need to accommodate RDFa.  We have tried
hard to ensure that this is easy to do.  I hope that we succeeded.  I
know that we have a proof of concept integration with HTML4 that works
like a charm.

The main point of this thread was a discussion of whether the Link:
header extensions for HTTP would conflict with RDFa.  I and the RDFa
Task Force believe that they do not conflict because the value space of
CURIE is a superset of the value space for the proposed Link: header
extensions AND the CURIE value space (IRI) is directly transformable to
the Link: header value space (URI) as per the relevant RFCs.