Re: Updated Versioning compatibility strategies document ("Good Practice" label)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:15:27 -0500
To: David Orchard <orchard@pacificspirit.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

David Orchard wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning-compatibility-strategies-20080917.html

Is the "Good Practice" label on rules such as...
"Must Accept Unknowns Rule: Consumers MUST accept text portions that
they do not recognize where the language has allowed extensibility."
there by design or is it an artifact?

It seems like a category error.

Taken literally, this says that all consumers MUST accept...

But I think the intent is to list this as one design choice.

I suggest changing the label to "Design Pattern"
or "Candidate Rule" or some such.