RE: a protocol analog to abstract/concrete identifiers

Dan, I agree that's a good analogy. It lines up well with the incisive
analysis Eran Hammer-Lahav posted last week of the various options for using
HTTP as a metadata discovery protocol [1].

>From an efficiency standpoint, the key challenge is what Eran calls "Direct
Metadata Access":

	"Direct Metadata Access - enable direct retrieval of metadata
without interaction with the resource itself. Before a resource is accessed,
the consumer should have a way to fetch the resource's metadata without
accessing the resource. This is important for two reasons. First, accessing
an unknown resource may have undesirable consequences. After all, the
information contained in the metadata is supposed to inform the consumer how
to interact with the resource. The second is efficiency - removing the need
to interact with the resource in order to get its metadata (which can reduce
HTTP round-trips, network bandwidth, application latency, and overall
waste)."

What we're looking for is a solution that provides direct metadata access
without violating the principles of Web architecture.

=Drummond

[1] http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2008/09/discovery-and-h.html