Re: [XRI] Back to XRI

David,

Having the meta-data at a known relative location to the "about-a-
thing" URI is more practical where we have URI that all conform to the
same rules through the proxy by say adding $XRDS to the path or query
as an example.

It however prevents us from having a rule that all URI in a given
space all of the URI are "about things" and not things themselves.
This could be finessed if required.

A larger problem is for XRDS-Simple if the general rule is to add
$XRDS to the path and there is no document at the location the client
needs to go back to the original URI preform a HEAD or GET and
retrieve the X-XRDS-Location header or Link header if we standardize
on that.

A failure takes XRDS-Simple from 2 GETs to 3 GETs.

What would be ideal is if there was some equivalent to the Link Header
for requests.

In my GET I would like to say
LINK:  rel="http://docs.oasis-open.org/xri/2.0/specs/xri-resolution-V2.0.html
"

I don't think that the ability to ask for an "information resource"
that has a relation to a "non-information resource" is unreasonable.

I feel frustrated, in that responses have the ability if limited, to
express relationships from "non-information resources" to information
resources.

I want to say give me the XRDS information resource for the =jbradley
"non-information resource".

I imagine that in response to such a request a Web Server might return:
1. The related document with Link Headers describing the relationship.
2. A link header describing where to find the related document and a
303 to the related document or some other related document described
in the Link headers.
3. A link header describing where to find the related document,  and
some other HTML representation of the resource.

3 is a use case by Yahoo and others who never want to return the
metadata from a URI that also delivers content.  This is due to the
unpredictable behavior of proxies respecting vary.

As an example yahoo.com  returns content.  It is also the realm for
describing the oAuth and other services Yahoo provides.

Because of there volume Yahoo, Google and others only want to serve
the Link header describing where to find the XRDS for the realm to
clients that specifically ask for it.

Someone must have brought up a similar use case before.  Asking for
relationship information in a request is the obvious next step from
supplying it in a response.

Perhaps I am missing something,  or my question is in some way
heretical.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Your input is appreciated.

Regards
John Bradley