Re: rel=CURIE in RDFa, but rel=URI in Link:

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:19:36 +0200
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: www-tag@w3.org

Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> If HTML5 later on decides to allow URIs in link/@rel (and I think I've
>> seen several
>> proposals that go into that direction), then we have another conflict
>> between the RFDa community and the WHATWG crowd.
>
> HTML5, as currently drafted, already allows URIs in link/@rel to the
> same extent @xmlns takes a URI. That is, using a URI as a rel token is
> allowed (if the extension designer registers it on the wiki), but the
> token is compared as a string--not as a URI.

Actually, looking at <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#linkTypes>, I
currently can't see any restriction on the syntax (except the one that
follows of the fact that values are space-separated)-

Also "is compared as a string--not as a URI" is a bit misleading; there
is no single URI comparison method; character-by-character matching is
just one of many mentioned in RFC 3986 (see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3986.html#rfc.section.6.2.1>).

BR, Julian