Re: [XRI] Back to XRI

Thanks David,

Certainly we want any http: subscheme to be completely backwards
compatible with existing agents.

In the case of a XRI like =jbradley where the XRI is a "identifier for
an abstract object",  me in this case.
(Though thinking of myself as abstract still strikes me as a bit odd.)

The question of what is returned when cast as a http: URI becomes
interesting.

In conversation with TAG members using Link headers to point at the
URI for the XRDS meta-data seems reasonable.
We currently use a 302 redirect to point at some appropriate html
representation for compatibility reasons.  In my case a contact page.

Stuart Williams has pointed out that using a 303 redirect would make
it clear that the resource http://xri.net/=jbradley itself is "an
identifier for an abstract object" and not a resource that has
temporarily moved.

The XRI TC originally selected the 302 redirect for compatibility with
pre http 1.1 browsers.
Changing to 303 redirects may brake some clients but it unlikely to be
a significant issue.

I understand that some people will feel that using redirects is
inefficient,  however it seems the only way to communicate the desired
qualities of the identifier in http:

This still allows XRI aware applications from directly requesting the
XRDS meta-data if they recognize the subscheme.

I will also mention that some people seem to prefer the term "http:
profile" as a way to describe the qualities of a sub scheme.

Regards
John Bradley