Re: HTML5: clean and non-clean

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:27:59 +0200
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, www-tag@w3.org, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

Mark Baker wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:19 AM,  <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> So, the net result of the proposed separation would be two documents:
>>
>> 1) The HTML 5 Language Specification (as proposed above)
>> 2) The HTML 5 Browser Specification - this would provide essentially the
>> information in the current drafts, except that unnecessary duplication
>> with (1) would be avoided.
>
> FWIW, this has been discussed before in the WG, with folks such as
> myself and Roy Fielding saying basically the same thing.  "HTML 5"
> right now is basically 80% "browser implementer guide", and 20%
> specification, and those should be separate things for the reasons you
> give.

Please please please yes please oh please! I'd like to see this too.

What I love about the HTML5 work is that, for the first time, we have a
written down version of what real mainstream browsers actually do with
real Web documents. What concerns me, is that this valuable work is
being so tightly bound into the language specification for the document
format.

cheers,

Dan

--